Friday 28 June 2013

DisCOVER

My first cover ideas: These covers weren't really right. I like them a lot, but I don't think any are right.

I follow Tony DiTerlizzi's blog and read his entry on how he develops covers for the Wondla series. It finally clicked exactly why my original ideas didn't really work. They weren't terribly evocative of the sentiments and atmosphere of the book.

Then I spent some time looking through my favourite book covers from young adult sciencefiction. I particularly looked at the series that I started reading because I was drawn to the covers.

Three of my favourites
I distilled some easy principles that all of them shared for cover layout:

  • ALL CAPS (which I instinctively hate but it's par for the course)
  • Centred text
  • Large central image
  • Colourful
  • Creates a mood
  • Two fonts - Three if you count a stylised title

So, I sat down and did some thinking about what the emotional feelings of the book are. I realised the major themes are:

  • Self discovery
  • Feeling out of place - outside looking in
  • Bravery
  • A gathering storm

Some initial sketches - still not right

Here's my first crack at a cover for the book. I really like the feeling. I'm not sure if the landscape of the Vasts is the right one, but it's heading in the right direction. Now to start finalising it and playing with fonts!!! Wooo!!!!
First sketch of cover
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment