Tuesday 30 May 2017

Beastly fonts

So, I've been feeling the writer blues.

Working on edits and submitting manuscripts to agents and competitions can be incredibly disheartening. When trying to explain the feeling of futility I realised it wasn't because I don't think anything will come of it. But, editing in any regards is difficult. You're being hyper-critical of yourself. Your inner critic is deliberately turned up.

To also have the inevitable rejection that comes with submissions heaped on top of that is a recipe for being overwhelmed.

So, I've taken a step back from the editing while I go through the process of submissions and am focussing on the creation of work. This is the part that I enjoy the most. Having something to show for my hard work besides an inbox full of 'your baby's ugly' emails means I have a balance of the professional schlep of putting myself out there while keeping in touch with the part of the process that feeds my soul - creation. I've done a bunch of new drawings to accompany the detailed character outlines that I did for edit. I've also done a bit of typesetting just for me. Below is a first pass.

Getting my groove back


One of the parts of the Age of Albion work that I'm super excited about is the Bestiary. It will continue to grow and expand as the books do. I've done several drawings and even more entries already. So, I decided to indulge my typography lust and typeset a page with images.

Themo H Peel - Merlin's bestiary page
Taking a page from Merlin's book


Fonts fonts fonts!!

The bestiary was created by Merlin so I wanted to find fonts that reflected the Celtic black letter that you would associate with the time period. The header font is actually called Stonehenge which is epic.

My favourite find was the text font which is called 'Mordred'. How appropriate is that?!! It's an absolutely beautiful font with rough edges giving it a physical presence - the violent beauty of pressing ink to paper.

The page looks fantastic in situ and really warms my heart. When you see the world in your head in real life - in a way that other people can engage with - it's such an incredible feeling. It gives me hope that others will see the beauty and fun that I see in it soon. And, if not, I still have it for me. :)

Hope you enjoy!


Buy 'Black Star' or 'Spirit Shear' on Amazon in the UK and US
Check out Themo on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment