Thursday 27 December 2012

The more things change...

1999 Christmas card - water colour
A friend from home, Don, sent me a Christmas message that put the biggest smile on my face. He stumbled across one of my earliest holiday cards in his office!

It was done way back in 1999 and was the second one ever. It was done in water colour.

I remember having to take the massive page (about A2) down to the local copy shop to get it copied and reduced. They were all printed on plain paper and were just folded in half to make a card. I could only afford to make 20. I was so proud to hand them out to friends and family because I couldn't at the age of 17 afford to buy gifts for everyone I cared about. Don, at the time, was my boss at Barnes and Noble (obviously someone who I was right to hold in high esteem!).

I'm touched he's saved it all these years because I honestly believed they'd all been lost to time by now. I can't even find the copies that I'd saved for myself!

It's nice to see the characters that I conceived all those years ago as just silly ideas have made it through time pretty much in tact. I think you'll recognise them all. The only difference is that Sem was once 'Ben'.

2012 Christmas card

And while the characters may not have changed much what's even spookier/heartening (spookening) is that neither have I really. In 1999 the thing that I wished for is the thing that, over a decade later, I am holding on to; friendship. I suppose the desire for belonging and closeness is a tenant of everyone's life, especially around the holidays. It's a thing that I've learned to appreciate just how much of it I have.

This little reminder of my past is quite possibly the nicest Christmas gift I've had this year; a nice reminder from past me that I'm exactly where I want to be.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment