Monday 17 December 2012

Manuscripts and kittens

I've always said the secret to success is persistence and proliferation.

Persistence:
I sent out my first manuscripts at the beginning of November and this last week I got my first rejections back (Booooo!). But, in true Themo fashion I ate some comfort food, stoked the fires of righteous indignation, became decidedly contrary in a 'you-reject-me-so-I'll-show-you-when-I'm-rich-and-famous' mood, made some edits and posted off three more manuscripts for the two I got back. Ha! Take that publishers!

I don't know if 'spite' is what motivates most writers to keep going. But, as long is I'm getting my work out there, right?

Proliferation:
Well, don't stop me now! I've started blazing ahead on the outline of the second book so when the 'your book is amaze-balls' call comes I can say 'Yes, I'm working on the second one'.

The biggest hurdle has been deciding exactly whether the Rhe'zan people (who feature heavily in the second book) are more canine or feline.

Well, as I was helping decorate my mate Gareth's Christmas tree this weekend I was staring down his cat Martha. As I looked at her, staring into her saucered eyes, I felt locked in a contest of wills. A tiny shudder ran up the back of my neck and suddenly I thought 'I better stop before she rips off my face'. This tiny (tubby) little house cat despite her doe-ish demeanour still carried a glimmer of the primal danger of a big cat. And, as cute as she is, I still didn't really want to mess with her. Gazing into the eyes of a dog I find them more doleful than dangereux.

So, little miss Martha sold it for me. Rhe'zans are feline. Cute and cuddly with an edge of ferocity.

Here are some sketches I've done of the refined (refelined?) Rhe'zan look.

Built for action - ballpoint pen
Up close and personal - ballpoint pen

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Apparently, spite isn't the best motivator unless tempered with patience. The edits I made were a bit quick and I made a typo in the manuscripts I sent out. :( *sigh*

    ReplyDelete