Thursday 20 December 2012

Synaesthetic drawing: Darkside

One of the things I discovered in college was that I have synaesthesia. Long story short when I hear music I see colours* or chromesthesia.

For my senior dissertation in design I used my chromesthesia to create a book that was a colour symphony. As part of the project I created synaesthetic drawing from the various songs that inspired colour planes in my mind. Some were literal representations of what I 'see' others were images inspired by my experience of the song.

For the first time in ages I heard a song that set my synaesthesia alight. The Glee version of Kelly Clarkson's 'Dark Side' hits all the right notes and every time I listen to it I see brilliant reds and yellows on the colour plane. So, here's an interpretationof what I see**:

Bright side of the dark side - Photoshop
Enjoy!


* In addition to being just plain old cool, my chromesthesia is incredibly helpful musically. For me the note A always appears yellow and D appears red. This means I can usually find an A (giver or take a semi tone) by singing the colour yellow.

** When I'm actually listening to the song the colours flow and move like waves. When certain notes are hit they ping, a bit like fireworks.


Previous prints:
Cherry Lips - Garbage

Cherry Lips - Garbage

Bigger than my body - John Mayer

Ghost Train - Gorrilaz

First Taste - Fiona Apple

My Immortal - Evanescence

Mahler Symphonie No. 2

No comments:

Post a Comment