Tuesday 31 July 2012

The girls are back in town

So, as the novel is careening towards it's end I've gone back and consistency check names, places, etc. One of the biggest gaps I noticed was that I hadn't named Gemmy's sisters. They were referred to simply as 'B' and 'L' which are my older sister's initials.

Much like Gemmy, I'd just carried on writing referring to their letter and as the characters began to take shape, so did their names. It's been a while since I did some character drawings for the book and I realised it would help bring things into focus to take the writing forward.

Bringing their faces into focus has really helped define and fully thresh out their personalities in writing as well. Here are the sketches of the girls next to their finished drawings.

I introduce Ilamatä (Ilä  for short - pronounced 'EE-ley'):
  
And Lauta (pronounced 'l-Ow-Ta'):
 
Ilä's name comes from the Aztec goodess, Ilamatecuhtli, who created the stars. But it is also a nod to her developing powers. Lauta is based on German for 'shout' as she's a very boisterous character. Also, she often speaks for Ilä who is mute.

I actually spent time drawing pictures of my wee niece to inspire the facial features for the girls. Ilä looks most like what I imagine she'll look like when she's ten. Though, I think, if she ever came home with a haircut like Ilä's her mother would scalp her, hop a plane to Scotland, then pummel me! The haircut was inspired by my youngest sister who always had a short cut (more function than fashion I think) as a little girl. Lauta is the wild child but that's why I wanted to keep her hair long - think, Summer Glau, prima ballerina meets action hero.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment