Tuesday 30 December 2014

Growing up Gemmy

I got an amazing Christmas gift from home of some of my old drawings including the very beginnings of Gemmy and crew.

Well, back in the day when I first conceived of Gemmy and Po there was one big difference: His name was Richard. It started as an idea for a class project and spun itself into a whole world of characters for my alter ego to inhabit and indulge my thirst for adventure (and saving the Universe). I should point out that I still misspell 'guardian' without spell check. This was done when I was 13 around 1995.
Themo H Peel - Gemmys first

Themo H Peel - The Mighty Orange PeelOver time 'Richard Guardian of the Universe' split off into two alternate reality versions of the same character: Richard the Great and The Mighty Orange-Peel. RTG carried the back pack and the sword and TMOP kept the cool powers.

RTG lived in a far off land and had adventures with his pals (Pendleton Ward and I must have shared a brain as children because Adventure Time is basically everything I wanted RTG to be). TMOP became known to me mostly just as 'Opeel' or 'O' and so the adventures that would become the story of Gemmy began. He got the family, the power with great responsibility, the genius intellect and all the characters that you'd come to know in Emersus Project.

Opeel I feel grew up with me. His look changed as much as mine did as I began to develop and experiment with drawing styles. The whole cast got makeovers and haircuts as often as I did as a teenager including, eventually, the bright blue streak at the front that signified the awakening of his powers.

Themo H Peel - The Mighty Orange Peel  Themo H Peel - The Mighty Orange Peel 

Themo H Peel - The Mighty Orange PeelEventually, I finally decided to write down Opeel's story formally and at the time the best way I thought to do it was in comic book form. So, around 1999/2000 I sat down and started to sketch out the story of Richard Doodles (aka The Mighty Orange Peel). What strikes me most is how many details from the story all those years ago made it into what became Gemmy's story.

Themo H Peel - Gemmy portrait
When Opeel became Gemmy 2010
You can see (above) I'd named Opeel's hometown 'Banjo Island City which became Bansho Island City. The sisters were there, Mhetli still looks exactly the same, even Po was part of the gang. There were even Rhe'zans! A few characters didn't make it to Gemmy's world like Mr Cornball (the blue guy like Po but with a green helmet) and Sem was then 'Ben'. But Sem retained Ben's characteristic multicoloured hair and sports jersey. Also, Gemmy has a nose. I never drew Opeel with a nose until he became Gemmy. Why? I don't know. There's probably any number of psychological interpretations about self-identity and what not. But the honest answer is, Opeel was always just an idea. I liked him being other-worldly and not a real person. It wasn't until I grew up that Gemmy became 'Gemmy' - a real person, concrete with a story all his own, someone I'd grown up with, instead of 'Richard Doodles' - a shadow of myself.

So, without further ado, here is Gemmy's early beginnings in the (first draft) comic of the 'The Mighty Orange Peel' from 1999. See if you can spot the beginnings of what became 'Black Star'.

  

   

  


Enjoy!



Buy 'Black Star' on Amazon in the UK and US
Check out Themo on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment