Tuesday 30 July 2013

Up front

I decided to create a frontispiece for the book. Although, traditionally it's used on the title page this will sit on the dedication page. It's more meaningful to me there. So to hell with convention!
 

I was glad to find a use for the drawing that I had developed as a very early cover concept, which was actually an idea for my 30th Birthday invitation! (Oh, how these things get re-appropriated) Once I realised that Sem should be part of the drawing all of the pieces really clicked into place.

The drawing was conceived as Gemmy sitting on a window sill reading. And I thought the Mucha inspiration was fitting for the frontispiece which, classically, is very decorative and florid. I just thought it would be cool to set Sem and Gemmy in a kind of yin and yang formation. I think it adds to the dreamy aspect of the illustration. But, by placing Sem upside down it gives her an ethereal quality, almost as if she is watching over Gemmy while she hangs out in the sky reading. I didn’t plan it that way, but it’s particularly poignant for me given the dedication.

This will also be the only official colour plate in the book (for users with KindleFire). 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that's equally educative and entertaining, and without a doubt,
    you've hit the nail on the head. The issue is something which not enough folks are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I found this in my search for something relating to this.

    my homepage: do you agree

    ReplyDelete