Tuesday 19 July 2022

Life in colour - watercolour

Themo H Peel - Self portrait - watercolour
Self portrait - watercolour - 2020
I've been practicing my watercolours again. It's been nice to get back into them and remember some of the many many lessons I've learned over the years. 

I got my first watercolour set in Middle School. I was desperate to try my hand at painting. And, I'm pretty sure my parents' reason for handing me watercolours was because there were easy to clean up. And, I've always veered towards the less messy creative arts. However, I'd had the various paint by number acrylic sets and a Bob Ross oil paint kits as a kid. But, I never went back to any of those with any lasting interest. 

There's something about the fluidity and wildness of watercolour that seems to work well for me. Perhaps I'm drawn to them because they seem to be the favoured medium of many of my favourite illustrators. I remember being enchanted by Michael Foreman's illustration in Nicobobinus when I was 10 years old. The depth, texture and life that watercolour brought to his images was captivating. Manga artists tend to use a combination of pen, ink and watercolour. And some of my favourite illustrators, Tony DiTerlizzi for example, use watercolour in a way that is simultaneously fanciful and grounded in reality. 

Did I choose watercolour or did they choose me? Who knows?! I suppose it doesn't matter. I'm just glad to have reconnected with another form of self-expression that gives me the opportunity to share what's on the inside!

Hope you enjoy!


Buy 'Black Star' or 'Spirit Shear' on Amazon in the UK and US
Check out Themo on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment