Tuesday 24 April 2018

Albion tarot

Getting ready for the next #DVPit event tomorrow. And, with social media it's always a good idea to use an eye catching image. I'm still working on the images, adjusting some details and refining the layers of texture. But it's been a busy few months, so here's where I've gotten to in time for #DVPit tomorrow.

Themo H Peel - Ana tarot card Themo H Peel - Ash tarot card

I wanted to do something unique and interesting for Ash and Ana. I wasn't feeling particularly inspired, though. So I pulled out one of my tried and tested methods of punching through a creative block - When in doubt, copy the art of someone who inspires you.

I went through a few genres. I redrew some of my favourite comic cover art as the characters from Emersus Project. I started doodling Ash and Ana as manga characters. But, nothing seemed to hit the spot.

Then I came across my tarot card deck. The Aquarian Tarot deck illustrated by David Palladini originally caught my eye on a trip to Salem, Massachussetts many years ago. I was drawn to it because of the strong art nouveau and art deco feel.

I started flicking through the deck and was caught by the cards Temperance, Queen of Swords, The Hierophant and Strength.

Aquarian Tarot by David Palladini

I'd found my fun fantasy them for Ana and Ash!

For Ana I wanted to do something regal and strong, taking inspiration from the tribal art of Burkina Faso (which is where she's from). It's really intricate with lots of repeated angular patters and concentric circles. The extravagant detail of Temperance really captured that wild queen vibe.

For Ash I played with Pictish tribal art and added some Celtic influences. His probably follows the garb of the tarot cards though as most pictures of tribal Picts that I could find are mostly second hand accounts and feature half naked men and women covered in body paint. And, this is a children's series after all!

However, with the other influences, I wanted to keep the drawings distinctly Acquarian - elements that make them seem more ethereal than real. Firstly the mix of heavy and thin lines firmly root the drawings in art nouveau inspiration. Also, the way Palladini zooms in on the subject of the cards unlike other tarot cards that feature more elaborate scenes. I tried to keep the flat pencil sections combined with more textured painted blocks, but I was super keen to keep Ana's dark skin and the pencil lines got lost. I did manage to keep the more fantastical elements of the costumes, fighting my natural tendency towards function over form. I love Ana's starry hair and elongated neck (which is referencing the tarot card not the African people who use neck rings). Ash's overly broad shoulders.

What do you think? Will they catch an agent's eye?

Hope you enjoy!


Buy 'Black Star' or 'Spirit Shear' on Amazon in the UK and US
Check out Themo on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment