Monday 8 June 2015

Don't be hard. Be Izi

One of the fun parts of writing is creating characters that draw a strong parallel to the real world.

I wrote a character, Jenni, into the story ages ago and it wasn't until the edit that I realised I'd practically described my mate Katie. The spooky part is I only met Katie after I'd drafted the chapters! Maybe I'm psychic. Or maybe I was just in need of a crazy cool chica in my life. No one will ever know.

Either way, as I was redrafting I realised the name 'Jenni' didn't fit. She needed an equally cool name to match her personality. I also think that if the character had been named something like Jenni she would have changed it. So, I asked Katie, as Izi's proxy in the real world, to give her a new name and the name Izi was born. :)

  


In the book Izi is described as:
"The only one who Gemmy found at all interesting was Izi, a girl from Arbon. She had streaks of purple through her jet black hair which she also wore in a ponytail. But hers was slicked back (instead of frizzy) with just a curl at the end. It all accentuated her spiky purple glasses that matched her hair perfectly.
But what really caught Gemmy’s attention was the large floral faeli tattoo she had on her left shoulder. She was the only teenager he’d ever met with one. The other girls already followed Izi's lead and even Sem seemed in awe of her. Gemmy didn’t quite understand why but he felt drawn to her as well." 

I love creating new tattoo designs and I previously posted about Izi when I was drawing the details of her faeli tattoo. Characters like Izi are so much fun to work with because they help add colour and depth to the world you're creating, kind of like Katie.

Hope you enjoyed your first look at Izi.

Enjoy!



Buy 'Black Star' on Amazon in the UK and US
Check out Themo on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment