Wednesday 7 August 2013

Begging you for Mercy

Mercy is one of Gemmy’s classmates who we meet in Chapter 2 at the scientics fete.

“She had straight black hair that was cropped just below her ears. Her eyes were a deep violet and were always wide as if she were expecting a surprise.”
  

She’s one of my favourite characters, but sadly this illustration won't make it into the book. We get just two short chapters with young Gemmy and a lot of other characters are more integral to the plot. But, I just had to draw her.

Though it's a brief meeting, Mercy is one my favourite character for several reasons:
  1. The young Mercy is mostly an amalgamation of two girls that I actually went to school with when I was five, both named Carol. 
  2. In my head she looks and acts like one of my little sisters when she was that age – a bit shy but mostly because she’s a lot wiser than her years.
  3. Writing her and Gemmy’s interaction was so much fun for me.
  4. She’s just adorable. And who doesn't like adorable characters?
Even though this picture isn't in the book, it may not be the last we see of Mercy Valdein.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Woah! I'm really digging the template/theme of this site. It's simple, yet effective.
    A lot of times it's very difficult to get that "perfect balance" between usability and visual appearance. I must say you have done a excellent job with this. Additionally, the blog loads very fast for me on Safari. Superb Blog!

    Also visit my web-site ... j ()

    ReplyDelete