Thursday 3 January 2013

Tricky: Book 2

Over Christmas I sat with friends sounding out some ideas for the new book to try and flesh out the finer plot points.

One of the biggest blocks centred around a new character who ends up dividing Gemmy and Sem’s loyalty. But who is he and how does this knife wielding, rock-fishing* coaster convince Gemmy and Sem to get from point A to B in the plot? It’s a tricky one. In the outline I’ve been referring to him simply as ‘Tricky’ because, so far, I can tell he’s going to challenge me as a writer. I know Gemmy and Sem - who they are, what they want. ‘Getting to know’ a new character is tough. But what I learned from writing book one is that you have to know who these people are to get the story to make sense.

Tricky with his rock-fish blade - Pencil on paper
Gemmy and Sem (and even Mhetli) were easy because I love them as they are made up of bits from people that I know and love. Tricky’s not so simple as, honestly, I don’t think he’s the sort of person I’d want to get to know. But, that’s half the fun. And, it’s my job as a writer to find the means to garner him some sympathy.

I can’t say too much about him lest I give away the whole plot of book two. But, here’s what I’ve gleaned so far.



Digging the Aladdin pants - Pencil 
One friend asked, ‘Is he ultimately good or ultimately evil.’ ‘Ultimately’ he’s trying to do the right thing, but sometimes his means of accomplishing his ends can be morally ambiguous. He’s trying to right a wrong. And, for the people he’s trying to help he’s absolutely doing the right thing.

Once I figured out exactly what it is he wants I then had to figure out what he’s willing to do to get it. Another friend pointed me in the direction of (Nerd alert!!) Dungeons & Dragons character alignment. Reading the descriptions has really helped clarify for me not just Tricky’s motivation but exactly how he sees the world and why he does the things that he will do. It will also make for some interesting play between the main characters and him. I can already tell he and Gemmy will not get along! Oh dear.

Now that all these ideas are in place the outline for book two has been flowing quite easily. Here’s some new sketches of Tricky. Now all I have to do is sweet talk my mate Darren to come up with a proper name for him. :)

Enjoy!


* Rock-fish are like clams and grow on the sides of coastal cliffs. Rock-fishers repel down the cliffs and harvest them using large heavy blades.

No comments:

Post a Comment