Saturday 3 July 2010

What's the Mighty Orange-Peel's real name?


The Mighty Orange-Peel has a face! I'm having a great time writing as the illustrations feed the writing, which then feed the illustrations. It's fun to see how the characters develop in the process. Here's the short passage in the prologue that lead to the drawing you see:

"Leaning against the opposite aquarium, his jet-black hair stood out against the back lighting, distractingly resembling the sea anemones inside. I glanced side-long at him and realised, on closer inspection, his hair looked less like an anemone and more like the hair of someone who had been electrocuted at the top of tree and, on his way down, his hair tangled in every branch."

I still haven't come up with a name for him yet though. I know his surname is 'Westhill" which is the name of my old middle-school where I first came up with the idea that turned into Opeel. But, he doesn't have a first name yet. All the secondary characters have names. But, being the main character, O has been a bit of a toughy. What do you think he looks like?

No comments:

Post a Comment