Monday 31 May 2010

Viruses in technocolour






I collaborated with my friend David S Kroll, MD on 'The Humorist’s Field Guide to Infectious Diseases for Those who
are Especially Curious'. If the book convinces you to wash your hands (with soap) just a little more often than you did before, then reading it will have been extremely worth your while. David, being the doctor, wrote the text and I did the illustrations.

The black and white illustrations were done with pen and ink and then cleaned up in photoshop. I enjoy the challenge of doing finished drawings without doing pencils first. I do plenty of sketches and but do the final product in just ink. I've done a few of the drawings in colour rendered in photoshop. I think I prefer them just in black and white. I hope the drawings coupled with the text take you to a head space that lets your imagine do the rest. I think the human imagination can come up with more vivid colours than can be produced by one person's hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment